Brewed Nature

A pound of Thoughts; A smidgen of Sarcasm; A quarter-cup of Concern; Two leaves of Bay; One Clove. Steep for days, constantly stirring with a branch of Oak.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Anything Can be a Blog

by Lydia Daffenberg

I'm back in college and haven't written a new blog in some time. Since I've been so preoccupied with school, and needed a blog idea, I decided to create a cut-up of the material used in my classes over the last two weeks. The cut-up method is a writing method that was used by William S. Burroughs and Brion Gysin (and other writers, I'm sure). One literally takes pages of writings and cuts and pastes them, adds and edits them into some form of prose. Here it is.


Each year, after the winter blizzards, bacterica to bats, toadstools to trees, whippoorwills to whales--the night of thaw, the tinkle of dripping of the living world boggles the mind. Yet, all organisms, over the neolithic revolution in the fertile crescent bring strange stirrings, not one is united by a common bond. Just as you are descended from the winter. The hibernating skunk, curled--tied together by an unbroken lineage that can den--uncurls himself and ventures forth through time to the infancy of our planet.

The track is likely to display an indifferent diversity of life, including tigers, lions, gorilla and affairs uncommon at other seasons. The months of the year: Januar; Februar; März; April; Mai; Juni; Juli; August; September; Oktober; November; Dezember-- are three reasons for music in the Torah.

Pythagoras' a2 + b2=c2 is in the driver's seat. What evolution has accomplished in geometric progression in the abundance of years, can be destroyed in a much shorter length of time. What dropped the reins, I follow, curious to deduce: do I preserve diversity or destroy it? The future of life is in our hands. Basic college mneumonic preservation of meaning. Deutsch, Mathamatics, Music and Biology.

5 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger M.T. Daffenberg said...

I really dig cut-ups. They spur the imagination, create new ways to see things. I like your idea to string your contemporary experiences into a themed cut-up prose piece. There are a couple of good lines. Plus, you have a sort of word collage of college education. Creativity rocks! To bad it doesn't pay better.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Mamagiggle said...

I didn't know that Burroughs used this (although I might have guessed:) Neat. We used to do something similar in college making poetry collages out of stuff we'd write (drunk as skunks most of the time) but wicked fun that! Excellent. I'm back in school right now and loving it. Only one class though so..., I wonder if I should blog my notes?
Cheers!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Lydia Daffenberg said...

Mamagiggle,

You should try a cut-up with your notes--it's fuuuun.

What's the class you're taking? I'm back in school (again) working on my Anthropology degree. This time, I WILL finish!

I'll have to try a poetry collage. Great idea for all the lines I've cut over the years, holding on to them for some furture use.

Happy Day.
Lydia

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Mamagiggle said...

Anthropology rocks! (maybe not as much as geology ;)
I'm taking a psych course and as it happens that's what I want to major in. I've got a way to go though, I squandered a lot back in my younger youth.
I'm gonna do that cut up soon.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Deepu George V said...

It is very interesting to read your blog. I came across your blog through the link in the comment you put on my blog. Thanks for the comment. Your blog contains a lot of variety things, and once again I appreciate your work. The posting about the three sisters and the green man is very intersting. And its wonderful that you know the budhist ideals, I don't know how you came to know about it.
Regards
Deepu George V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Website Counters