Brewed Nature

A pound of Thoughts; A smidgen of Sarcasm; A quarter-cup of Concern; Two leaves of Bay; One Clove. Steep for days, constantly stirring with a branch of Oak.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

I Wasn't Born With Clothes Either . . .

by Lydia Daffenberg

My childhood is filled with memories. Here's one now:

Narrator's Age: 9
Setting: Small Midwest Town
Time: 1979

I had done something bad. In her eyes, that could have been anything from not finding something she sent me to retrieve, to not completely dusting because I had missed a few pictures. Either way, I was bad.

So she kicked me out. "Get out! Get out, you little brat! You can't do anything right! I'm sick of looking at you! Get out!" I went to put my shoes on. "No! You don't get to take those, you weren't born with them!" I sighed.
"Great." I thought to myself, not daring to speak. "I wasn't born with my clothes either--should I strip down?"

Off I went, following the long winding driveway down to a street in our subdivision. I was more scared this time because I was about to be brave. All the other times she had done this to me, my brother would come running after me about 10-15 minutes later, saying I could come home again. But this time was different. I was gonna make a run for it and finally live in the woods like the Indians. I was gonna walk until it was dark, then camp. I picked up my pace--I didn't want my brother to find me this time. A neighbor drove by and could see right through my faked nonchalance that I didn't have shoes on--just socks. They gawked as they turned the corner. I hustled toward my friend's house--a pig farm. I figured I'd hide out there for a bit then keep going after I was sure they weren't on my track.

I knocked. Nothing. I knocked again then entered the screened porch and sat down so that no one could see me from the road. They must have been at the store. I waited and planned my new life as an Indain. I was a Girl Scout, I could handle it. I knew how to fish and what plants to eat without getting poisoned. I could survive. Even better than I had been in this life.

After a while, probably 20 minutes worth of waiting, they came home. Just like the white man, they sold me out. My friend's mother called my mother telling her where I was. I never knew what my mother's excuse was for her horrible child--I could only imagine. Everyone believes a good Christian woman.

My beating was worse that night. Of course, for being bad, and for being obstinate. But it was worth it to me. It was little me not being so helpless. After all, if there's one thing I got from her, it was her strong will.

4 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Mamagiggle said...

Um, what can I say?
sounds horrible (though well written as usual)
I'd explore the idea of the naked birth as a healing metaphor (child of a goddess mama born again) resentment does atrophy the process like you said down there...
*pop*
right there with ya!
Ever done a sweat lodge?

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger CW FISHER said...

You placed your story in a delicate cup, you winked and said try the tea, but midway from table to lips the tips of my fingers said HOT, yet I took a gulp anyway, and finding it pleasant, swallowed the rest in a single xertz, so that it could parboil my stomach. I further sense that you knew this would happen and that you did it on purpose, knowing that the contents can only be consumed a half sip at a time.

A strategy: dig your hands into the old photos and snapshots. Scan some, beautify them. Allow stories and posts to emerge from them. Treat your blog as a device for feedback on what could later become the first draft of a book.

What excites me about your story is its universality masked as uniqueness. All our mothers are tyrants by degrees, all daughters fear becoming their mothers, all fathers, husbands and sons are baffled. Your story is separated by degrees. It's extremely hot.

Emotional pain is invisible and requires writers to show its form. The story I've heard from you in bits is the emotional equivilant of a slow trip through a wood chipper, except that when you're deposited as pulp at the other end, you're still conscious.

Hm. That's got me to thinking breakfast. Thanks for the great writing, Lydia.

And HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am at a loss for any expressions that are not trite nor words that are not selfish.

I would like to thank you for penning this memory. In one fell swoop it provided me with a greater appreciation of my own beloved partner.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Deepu George V said...

I am visiting your blog after a long time. This is an excellent post. The whole incident is touching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Website Counters