Brewed Nature

A pound of Thoughts; A smidgen of Sarcasm; A quarter-cup of Concern; Two leaves of Bay; One Clove. Steep for days, constantly stirring with a branch of Oak.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

First in Line

by Lydia Daffenberg

There's something to be said for keeping with the artistic intention of a work which is the reason I chose to use a small font to keep the structure, hence flow, of the poem intact.

Hints of renewed life flit along hitching a ride on lukewarm breezes;
The forgotten colors of earth promise return like the carnival coming to town.
I breathe in anticipation becoming a child--
Imagining the taste of cotton-candy,
Hearing the distant sounds of the calliope and delighting in the clowns' painted faces.


A few survivalist leaves cling relentlessly to thin-ended branches--
The remaining undergarnments of almost-bare trees--
Dancing their last bump and grind of the season in the 10 o'clock burlesque,
Preparing for their grand finale: Spring.

Curvaceous new buds will soon emerge, pushing the aged and tattered leaves aside--
The new stage show replacing the worn-out with heightened excitement.
The ravaged, seasoned leaves hang; their crumpled bodies sagging toward the ground,
Reminiscing their Glory Days.

The park is yet bare of new life but that of a small boy who
Stampedes through melted snow puddles
Killing Ol' Man Winter with every leap--
Aiding in the reunion of earth and water into muddy pools.

I wait around to be the first in line to purchase
A red perforated-edged ticket and an overflowing bag of stale-tasting popcorn,
Wondering if my stamina will outlast the young lad's.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger M.T. Daffenberg said...

When I read good poetry, I always wonder how someone becomes a poet. You, my dear, are a poet--a great poet. Poet Laureate level poet--it just takes the right people to notice.

You can beat the combined imagery of sight and sound: calliope and clowns. I also like the undergarments that are revealed at the "10 o'clock burlesque," bumping and grinding. Great imagery and an excellent 'moment of time' captured. Most peole can't appreciate good poetry--don't be deterred, though. Your poem is excellent and a delightful read. I like that I feel caught between summer and winter after reading this.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Lydia Daffenberg said...

Thanks, I'm glad at least one person reads my real writing and actually likes it. Too bad it's my hubby and not a writing agent--you're not an agent are ya?

Ya gotta expect no comments when posting poetry and fiction, I guess, but no comments are always a let down when the writing means something to you.

This poem is one of my old ones, I have to write some new stuff (poetry and fiction) and stop writing so many damn informative essays. Or something.

Thanks, you cheered me.
--Lyd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Website Counters